The Active Transportation Leadership Institute is dedicated to creating great communities for bicycling and walking by developing more effective advocates. It is composed of three major initiatives:
- The Benchmarking Project, our digital data analysis site which continues the work of the Alliance for Biking and Walking and its Benchmarking Report on Bicycling and Walking in the United States.
- Providing online webinars and in-person gatherings for advocates to share best practices and increase their capacity to implement local and state bicycling and walking advocacy.
Want to learn more about how your organization can be part of the Active Transportation Leadership Institute? Contact [email protected] to learn more.
Priorities of the Leadership Institute
Inspired by Susie Stephens
The joy and enthusiasm that the late Susie Stephens brought to her work creating great biking and walking communities, along with her drive to constantly learn and apply new skills, inspires the work of the Active Transportation Leadership Institute.
The Susie Stephens Joyful Enthusiasm Award is given annually at the National Bike Summit. The recipients have been:
- 2022: Charise Stephens
- 2021: Robin L. Woods
- 2020: Gina Simpson
- 2019: Vivian Ortiz
- 2018: Christine Acosta, Pedal Power Promoters
- 2017: Wenzday Jane and Bob Nesson: Power to the Pedals
- 2015: Jeff Miller, Alliance for Biking & Walking
- 2014: Laura Solis, WE Bike NYC
- 2013: Renee Rivera, Bike East Bay
- 2012: Julia Field, Undriving
- 2011: Steph Routh, Willamette Pedestrian Coalition
- 2010: Kate McCarthy, San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
To learn more about Susie, read this article by Charlie Gandy at PedalLove.org.