Read through these resources to learn more about the BFB program and how to apply.
Advocacy for Better Access
- Learn more about Bikes and Businesses from the San Francisco Bicycling Coalition
- Consult APBP's bike parking guidelines to provide a safe place for employees and customers to park their bike
- List of bike parking manufacturers
- Dero's Bike Parking Guide (PDF) (Webpage)
- Dero Video Library
- Bike parking in parking garages - Best Practice on access/egress issues, a study from Cincinnati
- Webinar: Two Hours Or More, Long-term Bike Parking For Sure (9/9/21)
- Webinar: Short-Term Bike Parking and the Law of Attraction (11/16/21)
- Dero Fix-it Map
- Dero Fit-it Station Brochure and Bike Repair Catalogue
- Saris Bike Repair Catalogue
- Recommendations on End-of-trip facilities for bicycle riders, from the Queensland Transport
- Workplace Cycle Facilities Factsheet, from TravelSmart (Government of Western Australia)
- Shower Facilities at Work: A Win-Win for Employers & Employees, from Cascade Business News
Incentives & Benefits
- QBP study on the business benefits of bicycling
- 5 Reasons for businesses to prioritize bicycling
- Dero ZAP Commuter Wellness program
- Are you a Twin Cities business? Find out how you can become part of the Dero ZAP program, an encouragement and tracking system that can save you money and provide incentives to your employees.
- Information on the Bicycle Commuter Benefit
- Example of Meredith Corporation's Bicycle Commuter Benefit Guidelines
- Capital Bikeshare's Corporate Discount Program for Washington, DC
- Bay Wheels for Business, Discount program for bike sharing in San Francisco
- Divvy Bike Share Chicago corporate discount
- citibike Bike Share New York City corporate discount
- Spoke & Art offers bike rentals including adaptive sit-down recumbents
Bicycle Culture, Support & Promotion
- Information on and materials for Bike Month and Bike to Work Day
- 5 Companies that Absolutely Crush Bike to Work Day, Bicycling Magazine
- How to: Make Your Bike to Work Day Soar. Bell Flight's Bike to Work Day
- Federal Government Guide to Encouraging Bicycling in DC Area Agencies
- Encourage customers to bike to your business with the Bicycle Benefits program for customers program
- Example of Meredith Corporation's Employee Commuter Tracking Log
- As an employer there are many ways you can support and promote safe cycling
- Promote cycling by offering incentives like the National Institutes of Health Bike Program
- More resources for encouraging employees to bike to work
City-Supported Employer Resources and Bike Commuter Programs
Education Content for Bicyclists
Education Content for Drivers
- The League's Bicycle Friendly Driver Training
- Using rewards, This App Saves Lives is out to make roads safer for cyclists and distracted driving a habit of the past. Employees at BFBs can find TASL in the iOS App Store or go to this link: apple.co/3kQAISu to download directly. Use referral ID ”LEAGUEBFB” at sign-up.
- Online Defensive Driver Course by AARP (for charge)
Metrics and Goals
- Dero ZAP Commuter Wellness program
- Example of the Metrics of Kittelson & Associates, who have several BFB offices around the country
Policies & Plans
- FTN’s Bicycle Friendly Business Policy and Plan in Fayetteville, AR
- In Alameda Bicycle's Accessibility Mission Statement, the shop commits to bridging the language gap with non-native English speakers as well as those who are hearing impaired
- European Cycling Lexicon for bicycling terms in 27 languages
- Bicycle Commuting Data resources and infographics
- 2014 American Bicyclist Magazine article on large corporations becoming bicycle-friendly
Economic Benefits of Bicycling
- 2021 League Report: Bicycling Benefits Businesses (Blog)
- A study on the Economic Value of Active Transportation
- A study of the economic impact on local business when adding bike lanes to a commercial area
- A study of business and user perceptions of bike sharing in Washington DC
- Protected Bike Lanes Mean Business
Health Benefits of Bicycling
- NYDOT: The Economic Benefits of Sustainable Streets
- A study on the striking health benefits of biking to work
- The health risks and benefits of cycling in urban environments compared with car use: health impact assessment study
- Do the Health Benefits of Bicycling Outweigh Risks? A study from the National Institutes of Health
- The Association Between Commuter Cycling and Sickness Absence, an abstract from National Institutes of Health
Case Studies and BFB Spotlights
Tools for Promoting the BFA Program in Your Community
The BFC, BFB, BFU, and BFS programs are described in one booklet.
The digital BFA Booklet is designed to give advocates, elected officials, business leaders, students, and university administrators a comprehensive look at the BFA programs. A visual and written tour of the four programs, the small booklet also includes a brief self-assessment tool to evaluate the bicycle-friendliness of your community, business, or university.
The booklet is available for download and print. Print your desired quantities and place a local organization sticker on the back of the booklet.
Promoting the BFA programs on your website is a terrific way of highlighting the success stories in your area (i.e. awarded businesses, communities, and universities). Using your website as a connector for all your local or regional BFA awardees makes for a more robust bicycle-friendly network.
Hosting a BFA presentation is a cost effective and efficient way of distributing information about any of the four programs. This could be done onsite or through a webinar by a local advocate, League staff, or both. Organization of a BFA presentation is easy and is a great way to bring together various local partners and build momentum.
Download an overview of the BFA program or a presentation specific to BFB, BFC, or BFU below or request a copy in PowerPoint format, email [email protected]. The presentations are each about 10-15 minutes in length with the script and can be presented at your convenience.
Organize a webinar for your region with a League representative by contacting [email protected].
Bicycle Account Guidelines - This guideline document is meant to help communities, businesses, and universities learn about evaluation tools that they can adapt to their organization to measure bicycle-related improvements, including public surveys.
The New Movement: Bike Equity Today - This report looks at efforts through the United States to make bicycle advocacy and related groups reflect the diverse population of people who bike and address the specific needs of diverse populations through programming and outreach.
BFA Guide - This Guide looks at actions by leading Bicycle Friendly Communities, Businesses and Universities in 2012-13. Use it for inspiration and guidance as your community, business, or university takes action to make biking better.
BFA Blueprint - This blueprint looks specifically at the Bicycle Friendly Community program and describes actions that communities have taken across the 5 Es.