Bicycle Friendly America
The League’s Bicycle Friendly America program provides advocates and change makers with a roadmap and hands-on assistance to build places more welcoming to people who bike. The BFA℠ program is a tool for states, communities, business and universities to make bicycling a real transportation and recreation option for all people and it recognizes those doing it well.
Bicycle Friendly Communities
(as of May 2023)
Bicycle Friendly Businesses
(as of September 2023)
Bicycle Friendly Universities
(as of October 2023)
Much more than an awards program, the bfa program is making biking better for cyclists across the country.
- Sets standards for what constitutes a real bicycling culture and environment
- Affects decisions on how communities, businesses, universities and states grow
- Inspires action, involvement and coordination among people that want to improve conditions for bicyclists
- Guides progress by acting as a roadmap for what communities, businesses, universities and states should do next
- Rewards persistence as people respond to feedback, make changes and come back again and again to get recognition.
- Raises expectations as to what really is expected and involved in making a great place for bicycling