DISCOVER YOUR LOCAL BICYCLING COMMUNITY
Find local advocacy groups, bike shops, instructors, clubs, classes and more!
Federal Budget Released
February 3, 2010/
On Monday, February 1, the Obama Administration Released its budget for 2011. Highlights from the Transportation section include:
- Transportation gets slight increase in spending
- $527 million for livability partnership (with HUD giving $150 million and EPA contributing $10 million)
- for capacity building and transportation projects
- “local quality of life is a universal challenge”
- $4 Billion dollar infrastructure bank (New York Times Energy and Environment)
- $30 million would establish a federal transit safety oversight program
- $ 1 billion a year for high speed rail funding
- Commits to develop long term solutions to financing and performance
- Administration seeks to integrate economic analysis and performance measurement in transportation planning to ensure tax dollars better targeted and spent.
- Needs a program that “increases options, promotes s sustainable environment, and makes our economy more productive.”
- States funding transportation with gas tax is unsustainable. Does not suggest alternative.
View the Department of Transportation Funding Highlights here.
The full USDOT Budget can be viewed at www.dot.gov/budget/2010/2011budgethighlights.pdf.
Visit the Federal Budget Fact Sheet and the Federal Budget Department of Transportation Fact Sheet for further information.