May is Bike Month!
It’s truly a cliche because we say it every year, but for the League of American Bicyclists and our members, every month of the year is “Bike Month” — a celebration of bike riding and adventure and freedom paired with the introspection and commitment to do the work to make biking better for everyone.
So, how do we make one month special if every month is Bike Month? Well, by inviting every American to join us in celebrating biking in the month of May.
Let’s make it official: “Dear America, please join the League this May in celebrating May as National Bike Month. Here are a few ideas about how to get started.”
Whatever you do, do this:
Ride a bike on National Ride a Bike Day! On May 2, or the first Sunday of every Bike Month, join the millions of people who bike on a bike ride — down the block, to brunch, or do double century! Whatever you do, just ride! Read more about National Ride a Bike Day »
Ride a bike any day in May! Can’t ride on #BikeDay? Ride some other day! You might find you want to keep riding every day…
How to celebrate Bike Month in 30 seconds
- Celebrate Bike Month on social media and invite your friends and family and neighbors to join in the #BikeJoy this #BikeMonth! Here’s an example to get you started.
- May is #BikeMonth! Join me and the millions of people who bike this month in the simple, joyful act of riding a bike. There’s a reason easy things are “just like riding a bike” so hop on and #BikeThere.
- Use the graphics below to get the word out about #BikeDay.
- Take action with the League and contact Congress:
- For complete, safer streets: Take Action on the Complete Streets Act »
- For increased resources for biking and walking infrastructure: Take Action on the Transportation Alternatives Enhancement Act »
How to celebrate Bike Month in 5 minutes
- Register for the National Bike Challenge! The National Bike Challenge is an excellent opportunity for beginner riders to start logging their bike miles as part of a collective competition. It’s also a great platform for advanced riders to rack up the miles and compete against each other. The National Bike Challenge is for everyone and anyone!
How to celebrate Bike Month in 15 minutes
- Subscribe to the League on YouTube and watch some of our Ride Smart videos to get confident in your biking skills so you can #BikeThere during Bike Month!
- Connect with local Bike To Work Week events, May 17-23, and Bike To Work Day events, May 21. Find your local bike advocacy organization on the League’s Bike Map.
- Become a League member! Take the next step in your bike advocacy and join the League »
How to celebrate Bike Month in an hour
- Discover other local advocacy organizations and groups to connect with during Bike Month – use the League’s Bike Map to find bike clubs, bike advocacy organizations, local bike shops, and other bike-centric organizations near you.
- Get inspired by the League Cycling Instructors spreading #BikeJoy across the country by reading our spotlight blogs »
- Explore the Bicycle Friendly Communities, Businesses, and Universities on our Bicycle Friendly America Map and learn how to become an advocate in your community for better biking »
- Go for a longer bike ride!
Wondering where to bike? Just #BikeThere!
- Ride A Bike to the Store
- Ride A Bike for Errands
- Ride A Bike with a Friend
- Ride A Bike to Worship
- Ride A Bike with Your Pet
- Ride A Bike to a Meeting
- Ride A Bike to Transit
Need a little more inspiration on how to celebrate Bike Month? Sign up for our newsletter and we’ll keep you posted on all our upcoming actions and activites.