Gear Up For Bike Month At Your Business
National Bike Month is coming up in May, and we want to help your business get ready to celebrate! Bike Month is a great time to support your existing bike commuters and to help others try bike commuting for the first time.
Here are ten ideas to help your workplace get ready for National Bike Month!
1. Plan a Bike to Work Day event. Host a Bike to Work Day breakfast to celebrate and encourage commuters who arrive by bike that day or sponsor a local Bike to Work Day commuter pit stop for the whole community.
In 2021, Bronze-level Bicycle Friendly Business Bell Flight hosted a breakfast rally attended by hundreds, including many local organizations and leaders, like former Mayor Price, who participated in the ride and engaged in conversations on how to make the Fort Worth, Texas, community a better place to ride bikes. Read about what made their Bike to Work Day such a success »
2023 Bike to Work Week will take place May 15-May 21, and Bike to Work Day is on Friday, May 19.
2. Survey your team’s biking interests, skills, and experience levels. Knowing everyone’s experience level can help you plan a Bike to Work Day ride that accommodates first-time/inexperienced riders with a “no-drop” rule, meaning no rider gets left behind, or pair up newer riders with more experienced bike commuters who may be able to help their colleagues prepare and map out a comfortable route to bike to work for the first time.
3. Are there people who haven’t been on a bike in a while? Ask a local League Cycling Instructor to host a Lunch-and-Learn at your business on the basics of bike commuting and bike safety or to help lead a low-stress lunchtime ride with safety tips for your employees. Find an LCI near you on our map!
Tip: encourage your company leadership to join the lunchtime ride to help set a good example and help them understand the value of supporting more biking to/at the office!
5. Reach out to other businesses, local advocacy organizations, and local universities and schools to brainstorm a joint event that would be impactful for the entire community. Download our Bike Month Guide for more event ideas and guidance on planning a great Bike Month event.
Place your order by April 19 to receive your materials by May 1, or order by May 1 to receive them before Bike to Work Week begins! Learn more about customizing the Quick Guide to include your company’s logo »
7. If you’re already a Bicycle Friendly Business, order some BFB swag to show off your award status. If you’re not a current BFB, you can apply to the BFB program today! The deadline for our Summer 2023 awards is June 15, 2023.
8. Queue up your company’s social media account for #BikeMonth with the League’s free Bike Month promo materials and Smart Cycling videos. Our newest Smart Cycling videos are available in both English and Spanish, as are some of our Bike Month graphics.
9. Work with your employees to keep track of progress and accomplishments made during the month i.e. minutes or miles spent riding, how many employees participated in group rides, etc. This can be done with a big chart on the wall or online tools like Love To Ride are a great way to have all employees keep track of their rides and miles. Set shared goals to motivate employees and use the data you collect to reward riders! Don’t forget to take plenty of pictures and tag the League when you post them on social media!