2017 BICYCLE FRIENDLY STATE℠ RANKING
The Bicycle Friendly State ranking provides a ranking for all 50 states based on four public data sources and a Bicycle Friendly State survey that is answered by each state's Department of Transportation and/or a statewide bicycle advocacy organization.
The data analyzed for the Bicycle Friendly State ranking is organized into five categories. The chart below shows:
- Each state’s ranking for 2017,
- The number of Bicycle Friendly Actions taken by each state – these are actions that the League believes are key indicators of a state’s commitment to improving bicycling, and
- Each state’s rank in each of the five categories used in our analysis – these rankings can help states, citizens, and advocates understand the relative strengths and weaknesses of their state and comparable states.
If you would like to know more about your state’s past rankings we have created two charts that may help you understand how your state’s ranking has changed over time.
- This chart attempts to provide an easy to understand snapshot of past state performance in the Bicycle Friendly State ranking. Instead of each state’s past rankings, this chart shows three metrics:
- Consistency – does the state have a consistent ranking or does it vary year-to-year?
- Past Performance – where has the state typically ranked during the history of the program?
- Trend since 2012 – do past rankings suggest the state will be ranked higher or lower next year?
- This chart shows all past rankings for each state. It is important to note that there was no 2016 ranking and that changes to both the survey and its scoring rubric have occurred throughout the Bicycle Friendly State program’s history.