DISCOVER YOUR LOCAL BICYCLING COMMUNITY
Find local advocacy groups, bike shops, instructors, clubs, classes and more!
Summit Award Nominations and Proposals
December 19, 2016/
The League of American Bicyclists is seeking award nominations and proposals for the 2017 National Bike Summit, hosted March 6-9 in Washington, D.C. Nine award nominees and winners will receive a $250 scholarship to the 2017 Summit. Applications and proposals are due by January 8. All applicants will be notified of their status in late January. Awardees will be announced and celebrated at the Awards Night Banquet of the Summit on Monday, March 6. Click here to make your nominations or submit a proposal.
We are seeking nominees for the following:
- BFA Bicycling Professional: This award is for a professional staff person at a public agency who makes a difference for the bicycling community in their everyday work. The goal of this award is to recognize professional staff who may go unrecognized, but make substantial contributions to the safety and comfort of bicyclists. This award is about recognizing not just current leaders, but future leaders among professional staff at public agencies.
- BFA Advocacy Organization of the Year: This award goes to a bicycling and/or walking advocacy organization or club who, in the past year, made significant progress. Their leaders have worked tirelessly together to grow and strengthen their organization and fulfill their mission. The proof of their efforts is in the growth of their capacity, programs, membership and the victories they have achieved for biking and walking in their state/community. This award is about recognizing organizations that are inclusive, welcoming, and committed to growing bicycling.
- Susie Stephens Inspiring Story: This award commemorates Susie Stephens, one of the Alliance for Biking & Walking’s founders and an enduring inspiration for many members of the bicycle and pedestrian movement. The honor goes to an individual or group who carries on Susie’s passion for advocating for bicycling as a fun and economical means of transportation through video storytelling. The video should address the benefits of bicycling in a compelling, fun, and creative way. Applicants are asked to produce a three-minute video on their story. A $250 scholarship to the National Bike Summit will be awarded to the top three finalists.
- Gail & Jim Spann Educator of the Year: This award recognizes a person that has worked to elevate bike education in their state/community. We’re looking for educators who are current League Cycling Instructors, active in teaching classes in the past year, serve diverse communities, and have shown innovation in their education work. The recipient will be awarded with a $250 scholarship to the National Bike Summit.
- BFA Advocate of the Year:This award goes to a leader of a bicycling and/or walking advocacy organization who has shown tireless commitment to promoting bicycling and walking in his/her state/community. This person goes above and beyond the call of duty to transform his/her state/community into a great place for biking and walking. His or her time, knowledge, creativity, and commitment are the highest standard of excellence exemplifying a role model for peers.
- BFA Club of the Year:This award is for a bicycle club that has done an excellent job at providing a great experience for its members and people who are new to the sport of bicycling. The goal of this award is to recognize clubs that do an exceptional job at integrating advocacy into club activities or supporting advocacy organizations while creating exceptional events for new and experienced bicyclists. This award is about recognizing clubs that are inclusive, welcoming, and committed to growing bicycling.
- BFA Emerging Leader: This award is a special accolade for a young person who is new to the bicycling movement and has demonstrated exceptional and inspiring bicycle advocacy. Nominees have demonstrated leadership in their short tenure and show great potential to continue leading in the bicycling movement. It is encouraged that nominees be between the ages of 23-33. A $250 scholarship to the National Bike Summit will be awarded to the top four finalists.
- National Bike Summit Proposal: Submit your proposal to be considered as a presenter at the 2017 National Bike Summit. All proposals will be considered for a presentation and a poster session unless otherwise noted.