DISCOVER YOUR LOCAL BICYCLING COMMUNITY
Find local advocacy groups, bike shops, instructors, clubs, classes and more!
Show support for tax credits for e-bikes
Let’s get more people on bicycles by making it easier for more people to choose to bike. Making it more financially accessible for people to purchase an e-bike would do just that. The recently introduced E-BIKE (Electric Bicycle Incentive Kickstart for the Environment) Act does this by proposing to create a tax rebate for people buying electric bikes similar to the tax incentive for buying an electric car.
Read more about E-Bikes in our policy and advocacy section
The E-BIKE Act would help replace car trips with bike trips and get more people in our communities to see the benefits of bicycling.
Studies of e-bike usage show that they are car-replacing, greenhouse gas emission-reducing, congestion-improving, and health-boosting. With the E-BIKE Act, Congress would be providing incentives for electrifying transportation to the most efficient form of transportation ever – the bicycle – not just cars.
Join us in supporting this legislation by contacting your representatives in Congress today.
The E-BIKE Act creates a tax credit that:
- Accounts for the purchase of one e-bike for single filers, or two for joint filers
- Provides a rebate for 30% of the cost of a new electric bicycle, up to a $1,500 credit.
- Allows lower-income workers to claim the credit. Individuals without tax liability can still receive the tax rebate.
- Includes an income limitation of $150,000 for a single filer, $225,000 for head of household, and $300,000 for joint filers. This is $75,000 lower than the income limitation on electric car rebates.
- Includes language that limits eligible e-bikes to ones with tested battery systems and which meet one of the Three Class Definitions for e-bikes used by most states.
- Prevents fraud by requiring manufacturers to provide a VIN that retailers report to the IRS upon sale.
Let’s get more people on bikes — e-mail your representatives today about the E-BIKE Act!