DISCOVER YOUR LOCAL BICYCLING COMMUNITY
Find local advocacy groups, bike shops, instructors, clubs, classes and more!
May is Bike Month!
This year National Bike Month could hardly come at a more auspicious moment. Consider the timeliness of enjoying the simple pleasure of a bike ride:
- Gas prices are inexorably rising toward the three dollar a gallon mark
- The First Lady’s “Let’s Move” initiative begs for kids to get back on their bikes and unplug themselves from their myriad electronic devices
- Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood is tearing up the country in support of livability – with bicycling at the core of his message
- Climate and transportation legislation remains “imminent” (and long overdue) in the United States Congress
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention just launched new recommendations for improving health through transportation policy…totally new territory in Government collaboration
- Crude oil is spewing uncontrollably into the Gulf creating a bona fide ecological disaster
- And more and more people are, in fact, getting on their bikes and riding.
So let’s celebrate!
In the next 30 days, you’ll see a new group of designated Bicycle Friendly Communities announced (tomorrow, in fact); a testament to the commitment of Mayors and community leaders to making their communities better places to bike.
On Monday, a National Physical Activity Plan will be launched, setting ambitious targets for getting people to bikes for short, every day trips.
Bike to Work Week and Bike to Work Day (May 21) are fast approaching and will see unprecedented media coverage (my prediction…).
The competitive urge in all of us will be satisfied by the Tour of California.
A time for reflection comes May 19th with the annual Ride of Silence; hope and inspiration is the hallmark of the Ride 2 Recovery event from DC to Virginia Beach, when you can ride with recovering military veterans.
IMBA’s Mountain Bike Summit starts next week; Delaware is hosting a state bike summit…
So much to do! Enjoy!