League Seeks Equity Initiative Manager
UPDATED: The League has reopened its search process for the Equity Initiative Manager position. Interested applicants may submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The League seeks a creative, community building and experienced organizer to serve and lead as Equity Initiative Manager.
The goal of the League is to make bicycling safe and comfortable for all people in all communities, but we recognize that women, youth and people of color are underrepresented in advocacy efforts. There is an important opportunity to understand the culturally relevant engagement, outreach, programming and advocacy activities that have the potential to bring needed resources and opportunities to underserved communities, engage currently active communities of color, and form new collaborations with community health, urban planning and economic development fields.
Through its Equity Initiative, the League seeks to engage and be led by women, youth and leaders of color — and bridge the current gap between diverse communities and bicycle advocates. A new staff position, the Equity Initiative Manager will lead the League’s efforts to work with, engage and advance diverse participation and leadership in the bicycle movement, including women, youth and communities of color. This staff member will work closely with the League’s Equity Advisory Council; cultivate effective local and national partnerships; partner internally to incorporate equity into the League’s operations and programming; and produce reports and resources to advance bicycle equity nationwide.
Successful candidates will have a connection to bicycling, experience facilitating groups, knowledge of nonprofit organizations, be resourceful and solutions-oriented and demonstrate effective leadership with diverse stakeholders. Possess a demonstrated history of success working both independently and as part of a team. Proven ability to collaborate and work successfully with multiple constituents to deliver and improve programs and initiatives.
The Equity Initiative Manager plans, directs, and coordinates all aspects of the League’s Equity Initiative including the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Develops strategies: Facilitates, assists and evaluates the work of a 10-member Equity Advisory Council comprised of diverse leaders tasked with advising and recommending internal and external steps to advance equity for the League and the bicycle movement at large. Works closely with League staff, board, and outside consultant to implement an internal Equity Audit of League operations, Board processes, programming and membership outreach.
- Implement projects: Researches and authors reports showcasing effective policy and program strategies, compiling case studies, aggregating data, performing new research and raising the visibility of organizations and campaigns from under-represented communities. Develops comprehensive package of resources for League member organizations; a toolkit created specifically for bicycle advocacy organizations and clubs to address the internal and external inequities predominant throughout the bicycle movement. Works with League development director and program staff to raise funds for local equity grants and develop scholarship programs to address financial barriers to access League events and programs.
- Cultivates partnerships: Serves as the League liaison and active member of the Equity Caucus at the federal level, and works to build relationships and coalitions with other relevant organizations at the local, state and national level.
- Provides leadership: Serves in a leadership capacity to identify additional aspects of the League’s Equity Initiative and fully develop the evolving program to meet the needs of the organization and the movement. Establishes regular reports and monitor performance against targets and plans to ensure that the staff and Equity Advisory Council are regularly advised of progress against plans and to recommend actions as required. Values the power of communication and works proactively to gather and share information to advance priorities.
- Program Design: Serves in a facilitative capacity to oversee the creation of culturally relevant programs and campaigns that meet the needs of member and potential member communities. Collaborates with fund development and financial staff to create realistic budgets and funding strategies. Participates in proposal writing. Is responsible for program budgets.
- Ideal candidates will have the following skills and experience.
- Previous work in community-based advocacy, grassroots and/or social justice organizing
- Connection to bicycling
- Strong writing and communication skills with an ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Background in group facilitation, community dialogues and conflict management
- Academic background in race, ethnicity, gender, cultural studies or other related fields
- Strong social skills as well as an ability to self-direct and work independently
- Experience is program development and organizational evaluation
- Experience working with youth populations or youth engagement is a plus
- Travel to as many as four conferences each year
The League is a small staff organization. The Equity Initiative Manager will partner with the Communications Director, and report to the League Chief Operating Officer. S/he will work collaboratively with operations, membership and program staff to lead and implement equity recommendations; and s/he has an exciting opportunity to shape the future of the organization — and the bicycle movement. Strong social and communications skills are essential.
Women and members of historically underrepresented groups and multi-lingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. The job requires two to four years in related experience and is based in Washington, D.C. Salary is based on experience.
Interested candidates may submit a personalized cover letter and resume to [email protected].