Stay Up to Date
Receive Bicycle Friendly America news delivered straight to your inbox every other week.
Bringing bikes on Amtrak: Answering your questions
Please join our Bikes on Amtrak webinar, Wednesday, August 2, from 2 to 3:15pm EDT. Speakers from Amtrak, Adventure Cycling Association, and others will speak about current bicycle accomodations and services, the Amtrak Bicycle Task Force and plans for the future.
In March, we asked our members and supporters if they had any questions about bike service on Amtrak. And wow, did you have questions. We got hundreds and hundreds of questions! We worked with Amtrak staff to try and cut out duplicates and left in most of the questions regarding specific routes. The answers in this PDF are broken into a couple different topics including:
- What bike types and sizes are allowed on Amtrak trains? (p. 2)
- What is the cost of bringing your bike on Amtrak? (p. 5)
- Questions on reservations and first come/first serve (p. 6)
- Questions on specific lines, including Mid-West (p. 7)
- Northeast (p. 9)
- Southeast (p. 15)
- West (p. 17)
- West Coast (p. 19)
- Questions on boarding and safety of bikes on train (p. 24)
- General questions (about service, uneven rules, coordinating with transit, etc. (p. 26)
(The topic break down is subjective so if you don’t see your question you may want to skim the other areas as well) If we still haven’t answered your questions, don’t worry! The League of American Bicyclists will be hosting a webinar with Amtrak staff later this summer where we can answer your questions live. Thank you again for your interest and your questions!